450 years of Ignatian Lay Communities (CVX CLC)

Jesuit Superior General Adolfo Nicolas celebrates Mass with the pilgrims of the Ignatian Lay Communities from various parts of Europe at the Church of St Ignatius in Rome.

0n 28 April 2013, at the church of St. Ignatius, Fr. General celebrated the Eucharist with the pilgrims of the Ignatian Lay Communities from various parts of Europe. This was the occasion of the 4th Stage of the European pilgrimage marking the 450th Jubilee Year of Grace of World CLC from March 25th 2013 to March 25th 2014. The CLC World Assembly will take place from 30th July till 8th August, 2013 in Lebanon.

In 1563, Jean Leunis, SJ started the "Prima Primaria" in the Roman College. This became the first community to which the many Marian Congregations (or Sodalities of Our Lady) were affiliated all over the world. 

These lay communities were instrumental in preserving and transmitting the Ignatian charism in all areas of life, a role which became all the more invaluable during the suppression of the Society of Jesus. 

In 1967, the Prima Primaria transformed itself into CLC and thus continues its uninterrupted transmission of the Ignatian charism among the laity. 

This Jubilee is an important occasion for the whole Ignatian family. Especially, we also reflect on and celebrate our 450 years of collaboration with the Society of Jesus and the many fruits this collaboration has produced. 

More information can be found on the international CLC website:CVX CLC

Information about the Christian Life Communities (CLC) in Malta may be found here

facebook youtube twitter flickr